Sunday, January 29, 2012

Quotes

Hello again!
In the midst of my reading and studies that built up this week because of my lack of study done last weekend, I was busy procrastinating on the internet, as usual. I had been thinking back to my first couple years of high school, when our principle at the time started off every day with a quote. I used to love listening to them, and I'd write down my favorite ones. Well as I was reminiscing, I remembered parts a particular quote that had stuck with me. I ended up searching for it online, and this is what I found:
“Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.” - St. Francis of Assisi
Don't you just love it? It's like this guy read my mind. This past week I've been struggling with ways to jump into my resolution. I know it's not going to be easy, but I have to start somewhere, and I have to get over the fear. Kind of like jumping into a pool you know is freezing cold, or going into the ocean at any time of the year in England (where I grew up)! Well, the two opportunities I had, I involuntarily missed because of meetings I had to attend (one was ironically about a study abroad to Ireland I'm trying to plan). However, after reading this quote again, I think I have a new approach.
1. Figure out what's necessary. What is necessary? Well, I need to jump in. I need to pick my painfully cold water and take a dive. If I don't do this, I can't ever improve.
That being said, I've picked my poison. The "shamrock'n'run" 5k this coming Saturday. If you're a runner, you might be thinking, oh that's not that bad! Well good for you! I, however, am not a runner. I can sprint, I can do 400-600 m but past that I start to wilt. Luckily I coerced a good friend of mine into running it with me to make sure I stick to my guns and go through with it. So even though it will be very painful, it's necessary, and once i conquer this obstacle, there is a whole new spectrum of things that are possible. It'll take time, but I'll get there. I'll do what's necessary, then what's possible, then all of a sudden I'll get through 2 1/2 slip jigs and 3 treble jigs without wanting to kill myself! (Can anyone guess my draw for the O this year?!)
Ironically enough, I actually trained for a 5k back in November before last years Oireachtas, and I was supposed to run the race the weekend after Oireachtas, but the race was cancelled, and when they rescheduled it, it was exactly the same time as my Physics exam. Needless to say, final exams won that one.
Alright, speaking of exams, I have midterms (already!) in a week or so, which is my cue to get back to studying Chemistry. I'll be back later on in the week to update on how my short notice 5k training is going!

No comments:

Post a Comment